but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree
planted by streams of water... (Psalm 1: 2b-3a, ESV)
and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree
planted by streams of water... (Psalm 1: 2b-3a, ESV)
So, why start a blog about thinking? Why start a blog about thinking with an introduction like what the Psalmist has offered here? Well, I think a lot about the power of visualization in the words we choose. I have often stopped to think about words and their meanings. I have sometimes stopped to think about the words that I choose to use and then I inevitably ask myself, why did I just use that word?
The Psalmist uses some vivid imagery that I really connect with. He accomplishes this by using a simple literary device known as a simile. He compares knowledge of the law to a stream. We are trees. These trees, it seems, can move around and transplant themselves. The Psalmist focuses on one particular tree which has chosen to root itself near a living spring of water. The spring of water is compared to meditation on the law. What is the law composed of? It contains more than mere suggestions but rather directions for life. Laws are communicated to us in words. We are to meditate on the words of the law. Meditation is more than a mere glance. It is immersion. It is carefully studying what is in front of us. It asks the question, "What is happening here?" In this particular situation we that a tree that roots itself in meditation of the law will grow stronger with each day.
So, how does this apply to thinking? I know that meditation requires thought. Some would have us believe that meditation is clearing our minds to focus on one thought. I believe that meditation is taking all our thoughts captive and really wrestling with those. Life is crazy and if we do not stop to think - to root ourselves - we will eventually whither. Sure there may be signs of life there but what is the quality of life?
Recently I had to write a descriptive paragraph for a Language assignment. My paragraph described a situation in which I needed to be refreshed and re-rooted. I ended up taking a journey to a solitary island in which the water was the primary focus of how I was to regain the delight that the Psalmist talks about.
We are all in need of roots. Strong roots require us to always meditate on the law regularly. I need to bring myself back to this place constantly.
I leave my writing assignment up for those who need to be brought back to this place and wish to have an avenue to get there.
Descriptive Paragraph – Beside Still Waters
I am walking. The ground is soft beneath me. Last year’s leaves crunch beneath my feet. These leaves create a blanket protecting the earth beneath. I feel a warm, golden glow as the sun rises over the tall spires of the majestic spruce trees; much like the thin, pointy spires of a baroque cathedral. It is a cathedral of sorts for it is a sanctuary. The waters on the lake are still. Not unlike the waters of the baptistery. These waters bring healing and refreshment and renewal to this place as well as to my own body and soul. The long, red keel of my canoe rests from its weary journey through the cold, clear water on the shore of this small, yet not insignificant rock. I have journeyed to this special place to be fed and restored by the food of solitude. This solitude, however, is not lonely. The warm, hunter orange flannel of my sweater wraps around me like a warm embrace. I breathe in deeply and slowly. The sweater carries a light smokiness from the crackling campfire which guards my little campsite. It mingles with the fragrance of sweet spruce needles which begin their cleansing work immediately. First it clears my breathing passages and then it moves beyond the physical and clears my mind. My ears hear the lonely cry of a single loon echoing over the shimmering glass of water. I stop walking. My eyes scan the ground beneath me. I bend down to sit on a long and flat, smooth rock. I am mesmerised by the stillness of the water. The glass that I look into is special glass. For it is both transparent and reflective all at the same time. The solitude of this lonely place overwhelms me with peace. This peace patiently whispers softly into the boiling turmoil that rages war in the inner depths of my being. I peer intently in the water and see the reflection of my own face. I see through the troubles that weigh heavily on me like concrete and they slowly fade away as I regain perspective. A small rainbow trout darts through the water. I can see the red and green markings on the scaly side of the fish flash as it swims past me. I smile and pause. There is peace here. I pull my stainless steel mug up to my mouth and feel the hot coffee reach my waiting lips. The slightly sweet and creamy coffee trickles down my throat. It is a good brew this morning even if it was prepared over a campfire. However, it is the reason why it is such a good brew. I may be alone, surrounded by water, but it is beside these still waters that the Good Shepherd has restored my soul.
Excellent post! A blog I receive via email recently was talking about how perhaps "memorization time" was more important than "quiet time". Often we think of meditation in the worlds terms, a lack of the presence of thought, but when we read the psalms we find the author often repeating (as in Psalm 119) over and over a love for the scriptures as he reads them and ponders them and "immerses" himself in them. I love the powerful imagery you presented that solidifies exactly that point.
ReplyDelete